The Office of the Registrar at NAIT evaluates students’ eligibility to graduate according to an approved program by the Ministry of Advanced Education in Alberta.
Students must meet the following requirements to qualify for a NAIT credential (Degree, Applied Degree, Diploma, or Certificate). Upon successful completion of all requirements, the Registrar’s Office will issue a parchment confirming the earned credential.
Students must meet the program requirements in effect at the time of their admission if they're graduating within the specified graduation timeline below. Please refer to your Academic Progress Report in the MyNAIT portal for your program requirements. Please contact your program if you have questions about your Academic Progress Report or your program requirements.
Students who do not complete all program requirements within timeline below will be required to discuss their completion plan with their program area. Students may be required to complete additional coursework to meet the current program graduation requirements.
- Ministry-approved degree programs: Standard program length + 3 years
- Ministry-approved diploma, certificate and ESL programs: Twice standard program length
- Board-approved certificate (continuing, professional learner) programs: 3 years
Students must fulfill NAIT's residency requirement by successfully completing a minimum of fifty percent (50%) of the program requirements for their credential through NAIT. Credits earned through transfer credit or assessment of prior learning do not apply towards the residency requirement.
NAIT graduates who are interested in pursing a subsequent credential at NAIT must complete a minimum of thirty-five percent (35%) of the subsequent program requirements in order to earn a subsequent credential.
- Students in a diploma or certificate program who commenced or restarted their studies after July 1st, 2017 must have a minimum Graduation GPA (GGPA) of 2.0 to qualify for graduation.
- Students in an applied degree or degree program who commenced or restarted their studies after July 1st, 2013 must have a minimum Graduation GPA (GGPA) of 2.0 to qualify for graduation.
- Students will graduate 'With Honours' notated on their parchment if they achieve a Graduation GPA of 3.7 or higher, and have met all program completion requirements.
- Refer to How to Calculate Your GPA webpage for additional information on the GPA calculation process.
For more information, please review our Graduation Procedure.
Parchments will be mailed 10-12 weeks following the end of your final term. Please ensure that your mailing address in your MyNAIT portal profile is up to date (found in Self Service, under Profile).
If you do not receive your parchment within the standard timeframe, please contact the Student Service Centre for assistance. Often, the parchment is returned to NAIT because we do not have a student’s current address. NAIT will keep parchments for 6-months from the date they were returned.
If your parchment is damaged, lost, or destroyed and you would like to request a duplicate, please submit the Request for Replacement form.
Students who have met graduation requirements are invited to celebrate their achievement at a convocation ceremony held in the spring.
Learn more about convocation