Preparing Students for Canadian Academic Success
The Newcomer Booster is a two-week program that prepares international and newcomer students to start their studies at the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology (NAIT).
Students will participate in ten days (two weeks) of learning. During this time students will engage with self-paced online learning materials, build on their learning in facilitated online sessions and engage in community building through peer and staff interactions. A schedule of the program will be provided at the start of the Newcomer Booster.
The program will run twice with two different start dates and participants can choose which group to enroll in when you register on Eventbrite (see registration link at the bottom of this page). The program dates for each are as follows:
- Group A: August 10 to 21, 2020
- Group B: August 17 to 28, 2020
Sessions cover topics in academics and cultural transitions to help students prepare for academic success in the NAIT classroom. Participants will have the opportunity to build community with their peers and NAIT staff members through participation in online forum discussions, activities, and video chats. Through this program participants will build confidence, connections and an increased readiness to start a new academic program at NAIT.
- Using Moodle at NAIT
- Student Rights & Responsibilities at NAIT
- Cultural Adaptation and Transitioning into the Canadian Classroom
- APA Citations
- Post-secondary Writing Techniques
- Critical Thinking
- Interpersonal Skills
- Empowering Financial Wellness
- Study Skills to Boost your Semester
- Public Speaking Strategies
- Student Well-being
Who can register for this program?
This program is designed to provide new NAIT students who come from different cultural and educational backgrounds with tools to enhance their academic experience.
You can register if you meet ALL the following criteria:
- You are admitted to start a NAIT program in Spring or Fall 2020Open Application list
- You are an international student or have permanent residency or refugee status
- You are committed to attending ALL sessions in this program
How much does it cost to register?
The program costs $35 CAD per student. The registration fee provides students access to digital program materials for each session. This access will be available for a minimum of two years.