Preparing students for Canadian academic success
The Newcomer Booster is a two-week program that prepares international and newcomer students to start their studies at the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology (NAIT).
Dates: Monday, Aug. 16 to Friday, Aug. 27, 2021.
Students will participate in ten days (2 weeks) of online learning. During the program, students will engage with a series of topics that are aimed to ease their academic and cultural transition at NAIT.
The program runs from Monday, Aug. 16 to Friday, Aug. 27, with two different time options for participants to enroll in:
- Group A - 8:30 to 10:30 a.m. (MT), Monday to Friday
- Group B - 1 to 3 p.m. (MT), Monday to Friday.
A detailed schedule of the program will be provided to registered participants closer to the start of the Newcomer Booster.
Why should I join this program?
Participants will have the opportunity to build community with their peers and NAIT staff members through online workshops, forum discussions, activities, and video chats. In addition, participants will build confidence, connections, and increased readiness to start a new academic program at NAIT through this program.
“The three significant things I learned in the program are first- plagiarism and the importance of references and citations. Here, it is a serious matter and must be dealt with extreme care. Second- the school system and school campus- don’t get lost on your first day, attend the booster and they will provide you with maps and tips before you start with your first day. Third- mental health- moving to a completely different place is difficult, and in most cases, it affects our mental health. In the newcomer booster, they will talk about the possibilities of home sickness and why it is important to acknowledge it and how to deal with it.”
Ciara Bernardo, Philippines
Materials Engineering Technology
Who is eligible to join?
This program is designed to provide new NAIT students from different cultural and educational backgrounds with tools to enhance their academic experience.
You can register if you meet ALL the following criteria:
- You are a current student at NAIT or admitted to starting a NAIT program in fall 2021 or winter 2022.
- You are an international student or have permanent residency or refugee status.
- You are committed to attending all sessions in this program over the two weeks.
Note: this program is not open to students enrolled in the English as A Second Language (ESL) Program.
Sessions cover topics in academics and cultural transitions to help students prepare for academic success in the NAIT classroom. Participants will have the opportunity to build community with their peers and NAIT staff members through participation in online forum discussions, activities, and video chats. Through this program participants will build confidence, connections and an increased readiness to start a new academic program at NAIT.
- Cultural adaptation and transition
- Canadian social and historical context
- Rights and responsibilities of NAIT students
- Learning to be an effective academic writer
- Understanding plagiarism and APA citation
- Study skills to ace your courses
- How to utilize critical thinking in your study
- Strategies for preparing a class presentation
- The importance of student well-being
- How Student Services can help you be successful at NAIT
- How to seek help if you encounter conflicts at school
- The NAIT classrooms
- Interpersonal communication in the Canadian context
- Group work in canadian classrooms
Frequently asked questions
View our FAQs
Program registration is now closed.