English at NAIT
The official language of instruction at NAIT is English. As such, you will need to meet certain English Language Proficiency (ELP) requirements for admission and to be successful in your studies. One way to show that you meet these requirements is by writing the NAIT ELP exam.
NAIT reserves the right to request additional proof of ELP for any applicant. The following details the ways through which you can prove your English proficiency meets NAIT requirements.
Prepare for the NAIT ELP Exam
If you are an English as a Second Language (ESL) student, we recommend you complete advanced ESL courses prior to attempting the English Language Proficiency exam.
Concentrated, academic training provides the opportunity to practice specific English language skills necessary to succeed in NAIT programs.
In addition to our ESL program and courses, the NESL 716 ELP exam preparation course can help you prepare to write the exam.
Learn more about NESL 716
Registration and fees
*Please Note: Registration closes 72 hours prior to each exam date.
The cost to register for an English Language Proficiency exam is $175 CAD.
Transfer fee: $50 CAD will be applied when a date change is requested.
Cancellations: You must cancel your registration a minimum of 5 days prior to the exam date (not including the exam day itself). If you cancel 5 days prior to your exam date, you will receive a refund less a $50 CAD administration fee.
For more information on refunds, please review NAIT’s Refund Policy
If you do not show up for your exam
Students who do not cancel, attend, or arrive on time will not receive a refund. A grade of F (Fail) will be entered into Test Scores.
Marks and results
- To pass the English Language Proficiency exam, you will need to achieve a grade of B (73%) in each of the 4 skill areas. For most Health Science programs, 75% in each of the 4 skill areas is required
- Results are final and feedback will not be provided
- Results for partial passes (passes in 1-3 skill areas) are valid for 18 weeks
- Results are valid for 2 years, provided you pass all sections of the exam and provide proof of on-going English language proficiency
- Exam results will be posted in your MYNAIT student portal within 15 business days. To locate the results, under “Dashboard” select ‘My Academics’ -> ‘Grades, Transcripts and Assessments’ -> Check ‘Course History’ then look on the left side look for test Results.
- If you fail 4 attempts, you will not be permitted to register again without demonstration of increased English skills
- After ELP marks have been posted and if you have pending applications to NAIT credit programs, you can request to have your application updated by contacting Student Service Centre.
Dates and locations
The location of the exam is subject to change so students are encouraged to confirm the location in their MyNAIT Student Portal 48 hours prior. Currently, the ELP Exam is only being offered online.
View our next available exam dates
- Arrive for exam check-in at 7:45 a.m.. Late students will not be admitted and no refund will be given.
- The ELP Exam starts at 8 a.m. and ends at approximately 4 p.m.
- Bring acceptable photo ID (such as a NAIT student ID, Alberta driver’s license, or passport)
- Bring your own writing implements (pen, pencil, eraser, and pencil sharpener if required)
- Cell phones and other electronic devices are not permitted during the exam
How often can you take this exam?
You may only register in one exam at a time and must wait 8 weeks between attempts. If you fail the exam after 4 attempts you will not be permitted to register again without demonstration of increased English skills.